WIND, RAIN & EARTHQUAKES - NIGE AND JEN ARE OFF TO MIDDLE EARTH!

Saturday, February 05, 2005

New Zealand International Rugby Sevens

On Fri 4th and Sat 5th February, Wellington became a mad place full of big blokes in fancy dress!! This was all in aid of the International Rugby Sevens, whose New Zealand tournament is played in Wellington. Over the years, it has become a festival of fancy dress as much as a festival of rugby, and all weekend the streets were full of hawaian shirts, smurfs, cowboys, nurses, tennis players etc etc!

Tickets were like gold dust, but Jen managed to get hold of one two days before the tournament began, so after work on Friday I set off to the stadium in my (last-minute fancy dress!) England T-shirt, St Georges flag and red glittery wig, to see what the England team could do! Unfortunately, not a lot, but that didn't really matter, as I wasn't really there for the rugby! The whole weekend was just one big party, and I spent my time meeting up with various friends, singing, dancing, drinking and talking to a lot of random people!

After getting a lot of hassle for my England costume on the Friday!, I decided to go with the home team on the Saturday, so wore black with silver ferns painted on my cheeks, which turned out to be the way to go, as New Zealand won the final, and as a winning celebration, we were treated to a haka demonstration by the team minus their tops - mmmnn! Nice bods!

Just as the rugby finished, the city was lit up by a huge fireworks display for Chinese New Year, paid for by the Chinese government allegedly, and I joined Nige in town to continue the party among the firework smoke!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home